A Two single-screw ammunitions carrier ships were built for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary - RFA.  Later to become Royal Maritime Auxiliary Services - RMAS. Built by Philip & Son Ltd of Dartmouth, Devon, a shipyard dating 1858.

They were:-

KINTERBURY:    Yard No. 1040, built 1943

THROSK:           Yard No. 1050, built 1943

Dimensions: 199 ft. Overall

Displacement:  1488 tons (presumably fully loaded)

Deadweight capacity:  769 tons (load-carrying capacity, including coal)

Coal weight:  153 tons

Main engine: Triple expansion steam engine 15 ins. x 25 ins. x 40 ins. x 24 ins. - 900 IHP

Built by Lobnitz & Co. of Renfrew

Service History:-

Ordered by the admiralty:  Sept 1941

Launched:  28 Sept 1943

Handed over:  22 Dec 1943

Register closed, no longer required: Sept 1957 (meaning not clear)

Converted for carriage of guided missiles:  1959

Sold to TW Ward Ltd. for demolition:  28 March 1977

Arrived at Grays, Essex:  15 June 1977

Dismantled:  Late 1982

(GCD September 2012)

Top of Page