How to Find Us
Fleming & Ferguson - Marine Engine
An inverted vertical compound engine, built by Fleming & Ferguson at Paisley near Glasgow’ in 1942.
It was one of two such engines fitted into a twin screw crane ship, which was built for the Ministry of War Transport during the war.
Four of these vessels were built but apparently only two have survived, Nos. MOWT9 and MOWT10.
The vessel was subsequently named the ‘London Titanic’ and moved from the river Mersey to the river Humber some time after the war.
The engine in the museum is the port engine.
Type of Engine:-
Builder & Year:-
Two cylinder, inverted vertical, compound
Fleming & Ferguson at Paisley near Glasgow 1942
High Pressure (HP) is 17 ins diameter Low Pressure (LP) is 34 ins diameter
The HP cylinder is controlled by a sliding piston valve and the LP by a conventional slide valve.
The flywheel on this engine was fitted by the museum, to help the engine run smoothly at low speed
There are two eccentrics per valve coupled to Stephenson linkage, which allowed forward and astern manoeuvres to be carried out.
Moving the reversing linkage is assisted by a separate steam cylinder.
The engine developed in the region of 400HP with steam pressure of 125 psi and under 100 max rpm. This would give a maximum speed of 10 knots when moving between jobs.
Steam was provided by two Scotch boilers, each with three oil fired furnaces.