The unusual combination of a nursery/garden centre and steam museum is located on the same site, and therefore caters for those interested in gardening and/or industrial heritage.
The steam museumhas on display some fine examples of stationary steam engines, marine steam engines and steam pumps. The majority, of which, are run on steaming days.
The museum is privately owned and receives no external funding.
Entrance to the museum is entirely free with running and maintenance costs being met by donations from the visiting public.
It is run almost entirely by volunteers, who restore, run and maintain the engines.
The Nursery was established around 40 years ago. Then in the mid 1990's, the owner, Tom Nuttall, erected a large building, on the site, to house his early collection of steam engines. In later years the collection has gradually grown to its present size.
The early collection included:-
A pair of single cylinder horizontal engines - built by Thornwill & Warham in 1884;
A tandem compound mill engine ‘Agnes’ - built by Pollit & Wigzell in 1909;
A twin single cylinder engine - built by Robey & Co. In 1902.
2002 was the ‘Year of the Marine Engines’, when four marine engines arrived from the National Maritime Museum (three of these are on loan). Since then, other engines and steam pumps have been added to the collection.
In 2006 the building was extended. This enabled us to acquire a large beam engine (18 ft. Beam; 16 ft diameter flywheel), built in 1878 by Goddard & Massey,Nottingham. This arrived in August 2010 and is at present under restoration.